Diploma in Nautical Science leading to B.Sc. (DNS)
The above program includes the requirements of the STCW Convention of IMO and Director General of Shipping, Government of India for the competencies required for an “Officer in Charge of a Navigational watch”. This course Curriculum has the approval of Indian Maritime University and Director General of Shipping, Government of India.
DNS course in India is very popular amongst the students who wish to join the nautical department of the merchant navy. The training provides a class XII pass out a sure path to become a qualified Deck Officer.
The training provides a class XII pass out a sure path to become a qualified Deck Officer.
A Nautical Science career in academic area demands very high level of knowledge and competencies in Navigation, Seamanship, Cargo handling and Ship Operations. In non academic areas, it demands a very high level of discipline and overall growth of an officer to take up highly demanding job of a Navigating Officer aboard a modern merchant ship.
The candidate undergoes a 12 months two semester residential Pre-sea training at IMI where he undergoes training in specialized fields like Navigation, Seamanship, Ship Construction and Ship Stability, MARPOL and Marine Engineering Knowledge. Training is also imparted in English and Human factors, teaching the cadets the importance of team work, leadership, positive attitude and interpersonal relationship. Training is also provided in workshop comprising of Carpentry, Plumbing, Machine Shop, Electrical shop and Hot-work. On successful completion of the semester 1 & 2, Diploma in Nautical Science is awarded by the Indian Maritime University (IMU).
On completion of the pre-sea training, he undertakes the 18 months board training phase comprising semester 3, 4 & 5 of B Sc Nautical Science which is termed as Distance Learning Programme with Indian Maritime University (IMU). On successful completion of semester 3, 4 & 5, IMU will award the trainee with Advance Diploma in Nautical Science.
After obtaining Advance Diploma in Nautical Science, trainee are required to undergo 4 months post-sea course in any training institute (2 Mate Function). On successful completion of the 2nd Mate Function & passing the exam he will be awarded Certificate of Competency(CoC) as Second Mate Foreign Going (FG) Merchant Ship by Director General of Shipping and B.Sc. Degree in (Nautical Science) by IMU. The person holding CoC can work on any FG Merchant Ship as Second Mate.
10 + 2 (‘A’ Levels) with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics with minimum 60% marks in PCM or B.Sc. Graduates with 60% marks in the final year. Minimum 50% marks in English at 10 + 2 or 10th level is must. Should be fluent in written and spoken English. Required to clear the OPEN-NET Examination conducted by IMU.
Not exceeding 25 years as on the date of commencement of training (subject to DG’s guidelines).
Medically fit with eyesight 6/6, without external aids. No colour blindness.
NB: IMI also conduct selection test for sponsorship for companies of repute. Interested candidates may fill in their application for in the month of April-May for August Batch and October – November for the February batch. The application fee – Rs. 2000/- which can be paid either in cash or by demand draft favoring ‘International Maritime Institute’ payable at Greater Noida.
CAREER FLOW CHART
01. 10+2 with PCM 60% aggregate & 50% in English at either in 10th or 12th.
02. 12 month two semester program along with mandatory 4 STCW courses at IMI.
03. Award of Diploma in Nautical Science by IMU
04. 18 months on-board training comprising semester 3, 4 and 5 along with Distance Learning Programme with IMU.
05. Award of Advance Diploma in Nautical Science by IMU
06. 4 months Post-sea course (Second Mate Function) at any recognized institute followed with examination.
07. Award of 2nd Mate COC by Director General of Shipping, G.O.I. Can work as Second Mate on FG Merchant Ships.
08. Award of B.Sc. (Nautical Science) degree by IMU
09. 18 months approved sea service as Officer I/c Navigating Watch
10. Phase I and Phase II Course followed by Examination.
11. On passing Phase I and II exam; award of Certification as First Mate (F. G.). Can work as Chief Officer on FG Merchant Ships
12. 36 months sea services as Officer I/c of Navigating Watch
13. Advance Ship Management Course, followed by exam.
14. Written & Oral Examination & certification as Master Foreign-going. Can work as Master of FG Ship.